“No man is an island.” This adage adeptly describes the significance of effective communication. In the modern society most of the work and research would need cooperation from teammates in a group and collaboration with other people from external laboratories and research groups. Effective communication is essential to convey important information for efficient coordination of projects.
In addition, effective communication with the scientific community (including those outside the field of study) is also important. Barry Halliwell (one of the most cited scientists in National University of Singapore) once said that “Even if you do fantastic science, if you cannot communicate with others on the subject, you are still doing insignificant science.” Thus, I feel that one of the most important differences between successful scientists and the average “run of the mill” scientist is the ability to communicate his/her findings to the scientific community (showing the others that he/she has asked the correct questions).
The best scientists could easily transfer their enthusiasm about their subject area to other scientists securing collaborations to further develop their research interest. As a student trained in the pursuit of science, I feel that it is important to develop the skill of effective communication in order to become an efficient scientist.
28 January, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Bernard,
ReplyDeleteI like the quote that the scientist Barry Halliwell had made. As I have previous internship experience on research, I absolutely agree that you need someone to recognise the potential of your ideas in the research field.
Although scientists have their own ambition and passion on their research, I believe that most research projects that were able to communicate across effectively include projects that give practical results which could be commercialised.
Cheers!
I like the fact that you mentioned effective communication in the area of science. Personally, I’m majoring in science and through past working experience in a research lab, I could vividly see some the researchers enthusiasm in their works during meetings and while doing experiments in the lab. Their passion and perseverance were not only shown through words, but also through their actions and also eventually in their published research papers. Guess these only apply to the passionate ones, as only then can their enthusiasm be felt?
ReplyDeleteIndeed we need to communicate well to convey important information for efficient coordination. This reminds me on how my previous supervisor and co-workers guided me throughout my internship project, which also evidently helped in my learning.
Wow. Bernard! I like your adage and quote. And yes, I agree that "effective communication is essential to convey important information for efficient coordination of projects."
ReplyDeleteIn using your example in the life science industry, teamwork is very important. No individual is working on his or her own. As such, effective communication is all the more important to improve the productivity of the team by minimising unnecessary misunderstandings or breakdown in communication. When communicating with the salespersonnel, it is also important for effective communication because one small eppendorf tube of primers costs $600 over!
Well said, concise, and clear. The scientist you cited is absolutely correct. Could one say that it is just as much a responsibility to communicate clearly as it is to do important research? The scientist with the idea is responsible for making sure that if his research is the best and requires the most attention, that he does what is necessary to get it and make sure that it is known.
ReplyDelete